The Esping Family Foundation exists to help people and institutions of Dallas, Texas, specifically Dallas County to help themselves and future generations. Under the terms of its charter, the Foundation can distribute grants only to qualified public entities or 501(c)(3) charities serving the people of Texas. The Foundation does not lend or grant money to individuals.
Grants are made in four categories:
- Human Services
- Arts and Culture
Within these categories of giving, there are currently three areas of high interest.
- Improving the educational outcome of Texas children (K-12)
- Children and Families
- Youth Development
We look for one or more of the following conditions in an application:
- Targeting underserved individuals and communities
- Innovation in addressing issues
- Collaboration with other organizations
- Staff’s ability to bring out intended results
- Evidence of accountability and evaluation
- Foundation support would be vital or catalytic to a proposed project’s success
- The project is well planned and the agency has the capacity to execute the plan
- Financial support from other sources exists to ensure that the project will be implemented and continue after the grant period. It will expedite the review process if between one-third and one-half of the needed project funds have been secured before applying
In general, grants are not made for purposes of:
- Individual scholarships or loans
- Underwriting for charity balls
- Endowment or permanent funds
- Capital Campaigns
- School sports or bands
- Church or seminary construction
- Underwriting fund-raising events
- Professional conferences and symposia unless directly related to our areas of high interest
- Out-of-state travel expenses for performances or competition
- Support of single artistic events or performances
Spring Grant Cycle: You begin the grant application process by completing a Letter of Inquiry(LOI) which is due on or before February 15 each Spring. You will be notified on or before March 1st if you have been selected to proceed to the second phase of the grant process. Grant requests are due April 1st.
Fall Grant Cycle: You begin the grant application process by completing a Letter of Inquiry(LOI)) which is due on or before July 15 each Summer. You will hear on or before September 1st if you have been selected to proceed to the second phase of the grant process. Grant requests are due October 1st.
The Esping Family Foundation accepts all grant proposals be made in electronic format via our online application. If you have any questions regarding issues not covered here in our grant guidelines page, please visit the Esping Family Foundation FAQ page.
Please see Grant Application Process for procedure. Each organization is limited to one application within a twelve-month period.
You will receive acknowledgement electronically when your LOI has been received. We prefer to schedule face-to-face meetings after receiving an application. That way staff is familiar with the proposed project and can offer informed advice. However, we are available by phone or email to discuss your application at any time and we may schedule pre-grant interviews as time permits.
Organizations funded for 3 years in a row must wait 2 years before re-applying. Organizations awarded multi-year grants must wait 3 years, from their last installment, before re-applying.